Saturday 7 March 2020

Review: J.Springs 200m Sports Diver BBH102Y

After spending long hours doing online search, I found two J.Springs watches that really interests me. One sold by a Malaysian online store at Shopee and the other one on Lazada from a seller in Singapore. After doing some research on the Internet, I acquire the two. The best money can buy. I got this J.Springs BBH102Y for only 50 bucks (US Dollar) or around two hundred ringgit from a Shopee store named Best Watch. After unboxing, I do all the basic inspection. I found that the watch has many surprises!” – thetick-thetick2020 

The J.Springs BBH 200m Sports Diver
The watch comes in four colours and two straps combination - black, white, blue, and orange settings fitted with stainless steel bracelet or the vented type rubber strap (like the Seiko). These models are from the J.Springs retro future collection. The most sought-after and difficult to find is the orange model. Not only that, it seems that the rest of the model now slowly disappear from the market. I believe the BBH sports diver is no longer in production.  

Specification and Pictorial Review
  • Reference/Model No. - BBH102Y
  • Movement - SII Hittori VX32 date 3 hands quartz (SII - Seiko Instruments Inc. Japan)
  • Watch Case - stainless steel, 42mm diameter, 12mm height, 47.5mm tip to tip, 20mm lug width
  • Case Back - stainless steel screw case back
  • Watch Crystal - dome mineral crystal
  • Strap - stainless steel bracelet with double safety clasp
  • Luminous Compound - not stated
  • Water Resistance - 200m / 660 ft
Read below, my pictorial review on this J.Springs 200m diver.

Set in steel, black, white, and red markings. With stainless steel bracelet, the watch looks dressy! I like the shiny ring between the bezel and the dome mineral crystal, shiny. I believe it is part of the watch case, holding the watch crystal. 120 clicks uni-directional scuba bezel. Very smooth and almost no play. Hence, the alignment is perfect in every turn! This really surprises me. The saw-tooth bezel is polished but grippy. I like the bezel insert. A contrast between black and silver print. I believe the insert is made of aluminium.   
Clean looking dial setting. The minute indices is printed in black and red, matching the watch hands. The rectangular shaped date aperture is a little bit inwards to align with movement underneath.  
The luminous markers' except for the missing at 3 o'clock position are finely printed in black lining. They blend harmoniously with the hour, minute, and the second hands. No movement and dial references printed at six.
The screw-down crown is not so big nor protruded, nice knurling. The crown is another big surprise. Sorry, I can't get a nice close-up on the crown pipe that is big. Sturdy, no wobbling on the crown when pulled out. On top of that, the screw-down crown is fitted with a spring! When pushed all the way down, you can feel it.
Side profile. The crown is proportionately sized and guarded by the watch case. Except for the top part of the brushed watch shoulder, the case is polished and curvy. 47.5mm tip to tip is not a big watch. The watch shoulder is recessed and in square shape at the tip.
 Simple screw case back. It is brushed with very simple engravings. No movement and serial number for this watch, just the model number.
Not the expensive, the stainless steel bracelet is lighter. The bracelet is brushed with polish line on the centre link. Double safety clasp, stamped with the brand name.
Not the standard Seiko Lumibrite. The BBH on the right, the lume glows in green. It is not so bright compared to the Seiko with Lumibrite on the left. But, still legible to read in the dark. 
On my 17cm wrist, the watch looks "dressy", ha-ha! I guess the latest divers are bigger than this 42mm. Anyway, I like the watch but not the bracelet. I guess I have to put on a non-metal strap so the watch looks more casual!

My Opinion on this Watch
  • The function – 200m W.R. is suitable for all sort of water sports and activities. I am not sure about the 200m rating. Whether it is ISO certified or not, it was not stated in the accompanying watch booklet and manual. SII quartz timekeeping is acceptable as it is used in most of the Seiko watches.
  • The design – A mix of sporty and dressage design. Simple and decent looking dive watch.
  • The construction – The stainless steel grade is "very ordinary". Not the expensive type. Feels lighter. I do not think it is made of 316L steel. The thick dome mineral crystal is great. Not shiny when fitted on top of pure white dial but reading at certain angle might be a problem. Overall it is a good watch. We can't expect much at this kind of price. 
  • Wearing comfort – The weight of the watch is unnoticeable because of the light steel material and watch size. The case underneath is curvy and ergonomically designed to provide wearing comfort.  
“I have many divers in my collection. Need a field watch. Big will be my preference. Soon after I bought the BBH102Y, I found what I am eyeing for. Ha-ha what a coincidence... another J.Springs! A Tudor Ranger look alike. Wait for my next watches review. The J model reference NPEA007Y. An automatic Made in Japan.” – thetick-thetick2020