Saturday 7 March 2015

Review: Orient "Captain" STT11004B0 200m Chrono-Diver

"I don't know why in the Orient USA watch site and other wrist watch forums named this big and chunky 200 meter diver as Captain! Like other watches; a few models were given special names. Like the Orient Mako and Ray, there must be something special about the watch. For me, it is just a call sign to recognize a watch model. Since the Orient Watch Co. bought over by Seiko Epson Corp. of Japan in 2009, the production has somehow becoming Seiko oriented but without sacrificing the long history and personality of the brand. More and more 'brutal' and 'masculine' look of Orient has since produced. All the new Orient quartz are using Seiko Epson's movement. For me, that is a better choice compared to Miyota. The Captain - my first 200m chrono-diver. Read below my pictorial review on this Japan made masculine quartz diver with 3 chronograph registers." - thetick-thetick

Specification
Model Ref. STT11004B0
Movement: Cal. KFB00, quartz
Timekeeping Function: hour, minute & sub-second timer with date indicator
Chronograph Function: 3 chronograph registers - 1/20 second, 60 seconds, & 12 hours
Operation: screw-down crow with chronograph push-piece button
Case: stainless steel, satin-finish brushed and polished
Case Diameter: 45 mm excluding crown
Case Thickness: 11 mm
Case Lug: 23 mm
Case Back: Stainless steel, screw-down case lid
Crystal: Hardened mineral glass
Strap: Soft rubber, scuba type, stainless steel buckle
Water Resistant: 200 meter

The complete set. The watch box, service warranty book, international warranty booklet, and simple instruction. I notice that the box is not like the normal Orient standard box. Different, the box looks like paper box but with hairline brushed steel top printed with Orient's logo.
Made in Japan... with tag.
Masculine! 45 mm diameter - 200 meter diver with chronograph function. My first option was to get the Seiko Solar Chronograph SSC017P1. But honestly, I do not like the Seiko Cal. V175 movement. The Orient Cal. KFB00 is actually the Seiko Cal. 7T92 and I like these two chronograph movements. It comes with 'flyback' function. Once reset, the register hands will move perpetually to its zero position. The 1/20 register allows reading for 2 decimal of a second.
Onion style crown water proof chronograph push-piece buttons. Signed crown is well positioned and guarded by the watch case.
The other side profile. The scuba bezel - thick, unidirectional, 60 clicks, saw tooth style. Look at the case finishing! Polished side with hairline brushed top. The bezel operation is not that smooth. You got to press down the bezel before your turn it. A little bit 'wobble', sounded very rough.
The scuba time-elapsed bezel is a 60 minutes index with 5 minutes marker. Normal black scuba bezel insert but... see the big luminous pip! I like the big luminous index too. Look at the dial, matte black finish with white minute and Tachymeter marker. The 5 minute index... reminds me of the Seiko MM, big and luminous. The hands are all in white. The hour and minute hands are luminous, pencil style hands.
23 mm lug! I do not know why Orient constructs it with this odd size. Quite difficult to find alternative strap for 23 mm! But I like short and recessed lug - easy to fit in the strap nicely close to the case body.
The dial is printed with "JAPAN BK" to mark that the watch is produced in Japan for this STT11004B0. The standard international edition - TT11004B is printed with "JAPAN MOVT". 
The case back. Made in Japan. Sorry, I do not know the Orient's product and production code. Pardon me! High quality engraved marking. Not like the standard Orient case back.
The rubber strap. 23 - 20 mm with brushed stainless steel buckle. The other standard variant comes with oyster styled stainless steel bracelet.
In shady area... the luminous hands and marker glows. In the dark the luminous compound really glows. But, it is not as bright and lasting like the Seiko Lumibrite. Acceptable still and I wonder why Seiko Epson does not apply Lumibrite in Orient's watch hands and markers!!!
Black, steel, and white. A standard combination of a scuba diver's watch. 
Suits my not so big wrist! I guess everybody goes for big zilla watches nowadays.
The Captain and the Sumo. Looks almost the same size. 
"Actually, I am a laggard. It takes a while for me to appreciate big watches. Really? No, I use to have Panerai in my collection back in early 2000. I remember those days when you wear big watches on your wrist people will start questioning... hey dude, what brand is that? Looks weird huh!!! So big! Why don’t you hang it on your neck? Those are the days when Panerai started the zilla size trending and the trend continues. Nowadays we can see many big size ‘Neo 70s’ dress watches on sale. For me, I like big diver and field watches. 38 to 40 mm dress watch is acceptable. Okidoki, enough with watches review. I guess it is a good start for my 2015 blogging. Let me do technical subject. There are still a few unfinished technical subjects I wish to post. Wait for my next article. For your information, I bought this Orient Captain online from the Duty Free Island Shop. They have a lot of latest Citizen Watches, with good bargain for Seiko and Orient. On my blog list, please click and check on their website - highly recommended!” – thetick-thetick