Wednesday 19 February 2020

OTW: Seiko Prospex Solar SNE541P1

Citizen Eco-Drive, Seiko Solar and G-Shock Tough Solar. I experience them all. All are similar, using the quartz workhorse. But they are not the same. Am I right? I do not know what you guys think. I just want to highlight on the power recharging method. Eco-Drive recharged by any source of light, where else Solar and Tough Solar need the sunlight – the solar energy. The sunlight have more photon to channel into the movement's power cell. How long the power reserve last? It depends on the movement. Standard calendar timekeepers last longer. Not the power-hunger multi-function movements. The Seiko SNE541P1 is actually my second solar-powered watch from the Prospex line. The first one is the Arnie Re-issue. I don’t quite like the new Arnie. Anyway, quartz movements are more accurate than mechanical. For diver’s watch, quartz is highly recommended. You don’t need to unscrew and screw back the crown quite often thus making the water resistance last longer.


The Seiko SNE541P1 is from the Prospex Street Series. It is low profile and smaller size Tuna diver – black and steel combination. What interests me to acquire this so called Baby Tuna is because of its design and the V157 quartz movement. The Cal. V157 date movement share the same accuracy with Cal. 7C46 used in the Original Tuna; +/-15s per month. Wait for my review on this shrouded scuba dude - inspired by the original 1975 Seiko diver.thetick-thetick2020